Join us on a walk
- View our walks program for Feb - May 2023, either the Listing given at Walks on the menu, or the Visitors Walks Program available here.
- Covid-19 restrictions are to be observed, as applicable. In line with changes in government regulations, proof of vaccination is no longer a mandatory condition of signing on for walks. Carpooling is at the discretion of individual drivers and may require declaration of vaccine status from passengers. It is a responsibility of all participants to abide by Covid safe behaviour at all times.
- Note the walk grade given for each walk, and decide which grade suits your fitness level (walk grades are described below). For beginners this should be either Easy or Easy-Medium.
- Select a suitable walk.
- Book onto the walk by first contacting a Walks Coordinator (by email). Details for this are on our Contact Us page. This contact should be made at least two days before the walk.
- The Walks Coordinator will reply with information that will include the contact details of the Walk Leader, who you will need to contact to book onto the walk and obtain meeting arrangements.
Details on what to wear and take on a walk are available here.
Note that visitors will be required to sign an indemnity and pay a Visitor Fee of $5 for a day walk.
If you are new to bushwalking, or if you are returning to bushwalking, Bushwalking Victoria has some helpful advice for you. Have a look at Begin Bushwalking - Tips to get Started.
Meeting place for walks is as advised to you by the leader. If the place is advised as ‘Kew’, then the following arrangements apply:
- Sunday and Saturday walks depart from the carpark at the rear of Kew Library, Cotham Road Kew (Melway 45 D6). Meet at 7.45 am for an 8.00 am departure.
- Weekday walks depart from Victoria Park, near Kew Cemetery, High Street Kew. Enter opposite Belford Road (Melway 45 G5). Meet at 8.45 am for a 9.00 am departure.
The leader may arrange carpooling. Walkers may choose not to take part in carpooling - if so, please advise the leader prior to the walk.
Walk grades are shown next to the name of each walk (Easy, Medium; Hard etc) in the Walks Program.
E Easy. Up to 4 hours. 12km maximum. Minimal climbing. All on track or in open country.
EM Easy Medium. Up to 5 hours. 15km maximum. A little climbing. May include some minor obstacles.
M Medium. Up to 6 hours. 20km max. Moderate climbing. Mostly on track. May incude some light off-track.
MH Medium Hard. Up to 7 hours. 20km max. Significant climbing. Can include medium off-track forest or scrub.
H Hard. Up to 8 hours. No distance limit. Hard climbing. Can include significant off-track walking.
VH Very Hard. Up to 12 hours. No distance limit. Hard consistent walking in difficult terrain.
Base Camps (BC) and Pack Carry (PC) walks are shown separately on the program. Minimum grading for a PC is M.